According to a 2009 study presented at the British Psychological Society annual meeting, having a sister makes you a happier and more optimistic person. Findings point to sisters as the key to better coping skills, bringing families together, and encouraging effective communication of emotions. Being one of five sisters, I’d have to say I agree. In honor of two of my sisters having birthdays this week, here are a few ways my sisters keep me happy and optimistic:
1. We don’t just attend parties, we ARE the party:
2. Forget fashion magazines; I needn’t look any further than my sisters when it comes to style and fashion.
3. Effective communication? We speak our own language, can talk without talking, and literally share each other’s dreams.
4. Coping skill: Never take yourself too serious.
5. Sharing those “where were you when…” moments in history.
6. Accomplishments, like finishing a half marathon, are a million times better with sisters around. How can you feel guilty about taking those walking breaks when it doubles as quality time?
7. Sisters hold you accountable to your goals, and make sure you don’t have to go at it alone.
8. Older sisters pave the way, show you how to go after your dreams and not take no for an answer.
10. Forget selfies, where’s my sister?